At the intersection of East Putnam Ave. and Orchard St (2nd. light) turn left on Orchard St., proceed .2 miles, turn right on Bible St. follow for .7 miles; the entrance is on the left.
Once called Wild Acres, The Garden Education Center belonged to Colonel Robert Montgomery, owner of Price Waterhouse and his wife Nell from 1922 – 1952, when it was donated to the town. The Montgomery's spent 30 years developing the landscape and establishing the Pinetum, a collection of 850 types of conifers. In 1945, 200 conifers were gifted to the Botanical Gardens for their new conifer garden.
Today the Center is located on nearly 200 acres and offers a greenhouse, gift shop and art gallery with monthly changing shows in the mansion. The land is laced with individually designed gardens, woodland trails, two ponds, 80 conifer specimens, including the Sargent Weeping Hemlock, the R. H. Montgomery Spruce, and many species of ornamental trees and shrubs, that offset the conifers. Two interesting collections include the peony collection along the mansion's terrace and the primrose collection.
Educational programs and two major annual events; the May Gardeners' Market and June's Grandiflora Garden Tour.
make this a perfect spot for garden enthusiasts.